Saturday, February 20, 2010

Lynda Blackmon Lowery, full of grace

Putting together Marching for Freedom, I interviewed five or six of the people who were teenagers during the protest. Their courage was awe-inspiring to me. Since then, I've become friends with Lynda Lowery, the youngest person to march all the way from Selma to Montgomery in 1965. After living in NYC for years, she moved back to Selma. She's one of the most open-hearted, generous people I've ever known. She also has incredible energy and is always giving to the community. I don't know that she would even call it "giving back," she just is always available, with helpful hands and heart. Here she is at Mount Oliver Missionary Baptist Church last week.

I love these kids with their bright faces and festive tie-dye shirts. The one girl in front with her purple leggings and her warm boots! This photo makes me optimistic and hopeful.  I'm also struck once again how important it is to keep on working to make the world a better place for our kids.

A couple weeks ago while I was in NYC I taped an interview with Joe Donahue at WAMC radio. Joe will interview Lynda on Monday and we'll air soon -- I'll keep you posted. Lynda telling her story in her own words is not to be missed!

No comments: