Saturday, June 26, 2010

Braiding the garlic

Here's the big mound of garlic plants we brought in from the garden. First we cleaned them all... getting dirt out of the roots, cutting off excess roots, stripping off the dead leaves. Then on to the braiding....
I've always loved people's hands. Writing, hammering, cooking, wrapped around a small child... just love watching people use their hands. Both Dorothea Lange and my dad photographed people's hands, so I guess I learned early to notice them. Felix started off the braids by picking three garlic plants and tying them together, then he would add new garlics as Sasha braided. He held tight to the heads so they would make a firm braid.

Flipped over to tie off.... and success! Now on to the next couple dozen. Sasha and Felix stayed up long after I'd gone to bed, braiding and tying.

3 comments:

GarlicBOSS said...

Awesome post. I love all that garlic and the garlic braiding and the photos. It is great. Anyway, use a garlicboss for the ultimate garlic tasting because it's for garlic connoisseurs like yourselves. Have a wonderful day!

Julia Kelly said...

I wish we had grown more galric! bet the house and everyone involve smelled yummy afterwards!

Jacqueline at Deeprootsathome.com said...

Dear Elizabeth, I just stumbled upon your blog post about braiding garlic. I wouldlike to ask permission to use the photo of the hands braiding :) I would link back to your blog if you'd allow me. I am at Deeprootsathome.com. Please leave a comment to let me know if you are willing. PS I like the spirit of your blog :) Thank you,
Jacqueline