Thursday, October 21, 2010

Two challenges in two days

I don't remember ever being told that recording in a sound studio or leading an online social studies lesson were part of being an author. Turns out they are, for me.

Tuesday I went to Fantasy Records and recorded my author's note to Marching for Freedom for Brilliance Audio. I live about a mile away from Fantasy, but hadn't been there in years (I used to hang around with indie filmmakers who worked there) and it's had quite the makeover.

The sound engineer, Alberto Hernandez, was a sweetheart and put me at ease. And to record, he had me stand with muffling barriers around me. The rest of the room is pretty dark, so it's very cozy, actually. I ended up having a great time.

This morning I did a presentation for Pearson: "Integrating Literature and Educational Technology"on how to use the Google Lit Trip for Marching which Jerome Burg and I put together. Pearson has recorded it (thank you, thank you!) and I'll put a link on my website in a couple days when it's up.

And now, I'm off to a very quiet writer's retreat where we don't talk much at all, but sit at our keyboards writing, writing, writing. Which is, after all, what it's all about. A couple times a day we tear ourselves away to eat delicious food we take turns preparing, and in the evening we hold critique sessions. Bliss.

No comments: